ABQ Education Group 2023-24 Merit Scholarship
Applications for the 2023/24 ABQ Merit Scholarship Programme are now closed. Best wishes to all applicants.
Scholarship Terms and Conditions
Scholarship Terms and Conditions:
(1) These conditions apply to the 12 tuition scholarships offered by ABQ Education Group for the 2023-24 academic year.
(2) 12 Merit scholarships will be granted for the 2023/2024 academic year for students with exceptional academic ability and the tenacity to deliver outstanding results on a continuous basis.
(3) By accepting a scholarship, applicants agree to:
- Meet the course-specific entry requirements for the course they are applying for.
- Meet the minimum grade requirements for the duration of their chosen course.
- Act as a worthy ambassador for ABQ and the ABQ school applicants are enrolled at.
- Make themselves available, with reasonable notice, for any publicity and marketing campaigns ABQ wants to run in connection with the Scholarship scheme. This may include, but are not limited to: public appearances, speeches, interviews or photographs which can be used in publicity material.
(4) There are three (3) scholarships per grade from Grades 9 to 12. The following courses are eligible: IGCSE Grade 9, IGCSE Grade 10, GED Grade 11, GED Grade 12, AS level Grade 11, and A level Grade 12
(5) Each scholarship is valid for two (2) academic years, except for those awarded for Grade 12, which are one-year scholarships only.
(6) Scholarships are given as a 100% waiver of the tuition fees only and cannot be claimed in cash. Other applicable fees, i.e., books, cafeteria, uniform, exam fees, etc. as applicable, will be payable by the student.
(7) In case the candidates do not meet the minimum eligibility criteria, ABQ reserves the right to transfer scholarships to a different category or not grant it at all.
(8) The online application period is from 1-15 May 2023.
(9) Based on the application, shortlisted candidates will be required to complete an independent assessment (CAT4) on Saturday, 28 May 2023 at 10 am at ABQ schools. If selected, applicants will be contacted no later than 3 days before the assessment to confirm the necessary arrangements.
(10) The completed assessments are sent to the UK for grading.
(11) Based on the assessment results, 25 candidates will be chosen for panel interviews from which the final candidates will be selected.
(12) Scholarships are offered to students according to the “order of merit list”, as determined by the panel.
(13) Successful candidates will be notified on Tuesday, 13 June 2023 and will be invited to attend an Awards Ceremony on Wednesday, 14 June 2023.
(14) In the case of 2-year scholarships, students will have to maintain satisfactory performance at the end of first year to be eligible for the 2nd year’s scholarship.
(15) We may remove the scholarship placed on your account immediately if:
- You are expelled or suspended from your school; or
- We are of the reasonable opinion that you have made any misrepresentation (whether negligently or intentionally) to us either in respect of applying for the Scholarship or during the course of and in connection with your studies at ABQ
(16) We will use the personal information you provide to us to process your enrolment and administer the Scholarship scheme. We will retain all documents we receive in connection with the Scholarship scheme along with your other student records in accordance with our Data Protection Policy.
(17) The scholarship grant is at the sole discretion of ABQ Education Group. The decision of ABQ Education Group in all matters relating to the Scholarships and the process followed is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
(18) ABQ Education Group reserves the right to review and change the scholarship terms we offer. We have complete discretion to decide how long we will make any Scholarship scheme available for, for what period of time the Scholarship scheme will operate and may withdraw the Scholarship scheme at any time and without further notice.
Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions
ABQ MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2023/2024
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Is the scholarship only valid for one year?
Each scholarship is valid for two (2) academic years, except for those awarded for Grade 12, which are one-year scholarships only. Scholarship renewals will be considered if a student manages to maintain excellent academic standards throughout the scholarship period.
- What is the deadline for the scholarship application?
The application period is from 1 to 15 May 2023. No late applications will be accepted.
- How do I qualify for ABQ’s merit-based scholarships?
The 2023-24 Merit Scholarships will be awarded to students whose academic performance throughout the year demonstrated remarkable consistency at the highest level of achievement. Factors such as leadership, school/community involvement and career goals may also influence the panel’s final decision.
- How do I know if I am eligible to apply?
You may apply if you currently live and study in Oman (existing ABQ students may also apply). And if you have an excellent academic history and are proficient in English.
- What should I include in my passion essay?
The simple answer would be – anything that makes you stand out. We want to know why you should receive the scholarship rather than any other applicant, so use your essay as a chance to prove your worth – mention your academic achievements, your ambitions and your interests and how they relate to the programme you are applying for.
- What is included in the scholarship?
Scholarships are given as a 100% waiver of the tuition fees and cannot be claimed in cash. Other applicable fees, i.e., books, cafeteria, school uniform, exam fees, etc. as applicable, will be payable by the student.
- What are my chances of gaining a scholarship?
Scholarships are highly competitive. There are a number of things you can do to improve your chances of gaining a scholarship. When applying, make sure to include all the documentation requested, and dedicate plenty of time to writing your application. It is important to clearly communicate your motivations for studying at ABQ and how gaining a scholarship will support your ambitions. Stay within the parameters (number of words/time limit) provided, but most importantly, show the panel that you have the potential to do great things!
- Can a recipient lose their scholarship?
Yes, students are required to meet the minimum grade requirements for the duration of their chosen course. We may remove the scholarship placed on your account if you are expelled or suspended from your school; or if we are of the reasonable opinion that you have made any misrepresentation to us either in respect of applying for the Scholarship or during the course of and in connection with your studies at ABQ.
- When will the successful candidates be informed?
Scholarship recipients will be notified on Tuesday, 13 June and will be required to attend an award ceremony on Wednesday, 14 June.